problems connecting with midi (NOVATION launch control)

Jannes

problems connecting with midi (NOVATION launch control)

Postby Jannes » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:02 am

Often I have guests on mij stage so i made some virtual sliders controlling the main lights and use a NOVATION LAUNCH CONTROL to control them via midi. That works fine

Often the midi controller will not connect to the PC/Venuemagic.
At home it sometimes does not work at once but work after a few tries so okey...
Yesterday I had to support some very young magicians and midi doesnt want to connect. I even restart VM and even the PC.
After 5 or more times i had to give up and work via the screen.

Normally I insert the USB cable (Midi device-pc) and in VM I go to 'Devices' / 'setup devices' / 'midi input' and there click 'launch control'.
But yesterday 'launch contro'l was not stated there and even a few times 'setup devises' was gray and could not be openend! very strange

How to solve this?

Thanks a lot
Jannes

Ashley

Re: problems connecting with midi (NOVATION launch control)

Postby Ashley » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:32 am

Jannes,

Setup Devices will be grey if you have anything playing, including something paused in the CueList.
You need to make sure that your device is plugged in before you start VenueMagic; Was your device plugged into the computer before you started VenueMagic? It could also be the USB cable itself. Are you using the cable which came with Novation? Some devices are very picky about the USB cable and will not show connected even though the cable works fine for other devices.

Jannes

Postby Jannes » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:52 am

Hi Ashly,

That did the trick! (as a magician i like doing tricks)

I also found another important thing!
When the checkbox of the midi device is already checked I thought is was okey but you have to click on it (so the name of your midi device changes to blue)
then ckick OK and: voila Presto!

Thanks!

BlazeMagic

Postby BlazeMagic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 am

Hi Jannes,

If you don't mind me asking, if you are using Venue Magic products in your show, how have you found it, and are there any particular advantages/disadvantages?
I am a magician as well, so I would really like to hear your perspective as I am still looking over all the different products and wondering if they are something which I should be using for my show or not.

Jannes

Postby Jannes » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:01 am

Hi Blaze Magic :-)

Normally I do streetmagic on historic events but I do have a small stage show (with my own medieval stage) and in winter I have a big stage show in a historic themepark. For the last one I bought Venuemagic (classic) but now I have it, I also use it for my small traveling stage show.

VenueMagic is ideal for playing sound and lights at once (and even video if you buy the advanced version)
For the big winter stage shows I have an assistant who plays also a part in the show and have to keep an eye on the public as well. So he can now mostly run the show with one button and keep an eye on all the other things too
I made my own remote control, hidden in my costume, to do that as well if neccesary and for my small show i use that as well so i dont need a technician there.

I did had some troubles to learn working with VM but... the suport is great!!
I highly recommends VenuMagic but it is depending on your needs so you have to decide for yourself what is best for you.

with magic medieval greetings from Holland,
Jannes de Goochelaar
the magic of the past